Are you a restaurant owner looking to optimize your sales tracking, streamline operations, and effectively manage your tables? In this detailed guide on electronic till systems for restaurants, we'll provide you with everything you need to know.
From understanding the benefits of a restaurant till system to exploring the different types available, and ultimately choosing the right one for your business, we've got you covered. So, let's dive in and discover how a till system can revolutionize your restaurant operations.
What is a Till System?
A till system, also known as a point of sale system or POS system, is a combination of hardware and POS software that helps you manage your sales, track inventory, and streamline your operations.
It typically includes a touchscreen monitor, cash drawer, receipt printer, and software that allows you to process transactions, track sales, and manage inventory.
Different types of till systems:
There are several types of point of sale tills available in the market, each with its own features and functionality. Here are some of the common types of till systems:
- Traditional Cash Register: Traditional till cash registers are standalone machines that primarily handle cash transactions. They usually have basic functionality, including cash management, calculation of totals, and printing receipts. These systems are simple to use and require minimal training.
- Electronic Cash Register (ECR): Electronic cash registers are an upgraded version of the traditional cash register. They offer additional features such as barcode scanning, inventory management, and basic sales reports. ECRs are suitable for small businesses that require more functionality than a basic cash register.
- Point of Sale (POS) System: POS systems are advanced retail till systems that combine hardware and software to manage sales and other aspects of a business. They include a touch screen till interface, barcode scanners, receipt printers, card readers and cash till drawers. EPOS softwares offer features like stock management, sales tracking, employee management, reporting, and integration with other systems. They are suitable for businesses of all sizes, from small retailers to large restaurants.
- Handheld POS: Handheld ordering systems are touch to run on smartphones or tablets, allowing businesses to accept payments and manage sales on the go. Android or iPad till systems are convenient and flexible, making them the top choices for systems for small businesses. iPad POS systems also include features like inventory tracking, customer management, and seamlessly integrated payment processing.
- Self-Service Kiosk: Self-service kiosks are interactive touchscreens that allow customers to browse products, place orders, and make payments independently. They are commonly used in fast-food restaurants, cinemas, and retail stores. Self-service kiosks can help streamline operations, reduce wait times, and enhance the customer experience. Find out more about the future of self service siosks in the hospitality industry.
- Online Point of Sale: Online ordering systems enable businesses to process transactions and manage sales through a web-based interface. These systems are particularly useful for e-commerce businesses and businesses with multiple locations. They often offer features like inventory management, order tracking, and integrated payment gateways. Having an online ordering website is the way to grow your restaurant's online presence.
Benefits of a Restaurant Till
Here are some of the top benefits to using a till register at a restaurant:
- Sales tracking: A POS system allows you to track your sales in real-time, giving you valuable insights into your business's performance. You can see which items are selling well, which ones are not, and make data-driven decisions to improve your menu and increase profits. Modern POS systems also work with live internet connections.
- Inventory management: With a till EPOS system, track your inventory levels and receive alerts when items are running low. This helps you avoid stock shortages and ensures that you always have the ingredients you need to serve your customers.
- Table management: Some till softwares come with table management features. This helps you track the occupied and available tables, and table turnover rates. This helps you optimize your seating arrangements and improve the overall dining experience for your customers.
- Streamlined operations: A till system can streamline your operations by automating order taking, payment processing, and inventory management. This frees up your staff's time, allowing them to focus on providing excellent customer service. A POS system is the best solution for restaurant business management.
Features to Look for in a Till System
When choosing a till system for your restaurant, here are some essential features to look for:
Your till system should have a user-friendly interface that is easy for your staff to navigate. This will help reduce training time and ensure that your staff can quickly process transactions and manage orders.
Your till system should allow you to customise your menu items based on your restaurant's offerings. This includes adding, removing, and editing items, as well as setting prices and modifiers.
Sales tracking and reporting
Your till system should have robust sales tracking and reporting capabilities. This includes real-time sales data, sales by item, sales by category, and sales by time period. An advanced POS reporting will help you get better insights into your business's performance.
Inventory management is a crucial feature for any restaurant till system. It helps you keep track of inventory, get alerts for low items, and create purchase orders to restock supplies.
If your restaurant offers table service, look for a till system with table management features. You can track which tables are occupied, which ones are available, and how long customers have been seated. Some systems even allow you to split bills and process payments directly from the table.
Integration with other systems
A till system should allow integration with third-party softwares like accounting software, online ordering platforms, and loyalty programs. This will help streamline your operations and ensure that all your systems are working together seamlessly.
How to Choose the Right EPOS Till for Your Restaurant
With so many Electronic Point of Sale (EPOS) systems on the market, it can be challenging to choose the right one for your restaurant. Here are some factors to consider when making your decision:
Type of restaurant
The type of restaurant plays a significant role in the type of EPOS till system you need. Different types of businesses have different needs. For example, EPOS features for fast-food restaurants will be different from that of a fine dining establishment. Whereas, a bar or pub will need a specific type of bar till system. Consider your restaurant's needs and choose a system that can meet them.
Cost of a cash till registers depends on it's features and capabilities. Consider your budget and choose a system that offers the features you need at a price you can afford.
If you plan on expanding your restaurant in the future, consider a till system that can grow with your business. This will save you the hassle and expense of having to switch systems down the line.
Choose a till system from a reputable company that offers excellent customer support. This will ensure that you have help when you need it and can quickly resolve any issues that may arise.
How to work a till?
Working a till involves a few basic steps to process transactions and manage sales. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to work a till system:
- Familiarise yourself with the hardware: A till system typically includes a touchscreen monitor, cash drawer, receipt printer, and other peripherals. Make sure you know how to operate these components and handle cash transactions.
- Power up the till system: Ensure that the till system is connected to a power source and turned on. Wait for it to boot up and display the main screen or login prompt.
- Log in to the till system: Enter your login credentials or use any authentication method configured for the system. This step may require a unique ID or password to gain access to the system.
- Set up the shift: If your restaurant uses shift-based operations, you may need to start a new shift or log in with your assigned shift. This helps track sales and manage cash drawers effectively.
- Process a sale: To process a sale, select the appropriate options on the till system's interface. Usually, this involves tapping on the screen or using shortcut buttons for common items. Follow the prompts to input the quantity, select payment method, apply any discounts or modifiers, and complete the transaction.
- Handle cash transactions: If the customer pays with cash, enter the amount tendered into the till system. The system will calculate the change due, and you can provide it to the customer from the cash drawer.
- Process card or digital payments: If the customer pays with a card or digital payment method, select the appropriate option on the till system's interface. Follow the prompts to process the payment securely. If your till system is integrated with a payment processor, it may handle the transaction automatically.
- Print or email receipts: After completing the transaction, you can choose to print a receipt using the receipt printer connected to the till system. Alternatively, you may have the option to email a reciept.
A till system is an essential tool for any restaurant. It can help you manage your sales, track inventory, and streamline your operations. When choosing a till system, consider your restaurant's needs, budget, and scalability.
And once you've set up your till system, make sure to train your staff on how to use it effectively. With the right till system, you can take your restaurant to the next level of success.
For almost 20 years, 3S POS has offered one of the most flexible EPOS systems to international brands such as Caffe Concerto, Maroush, Comptoir Libanais, Pepe’s Piri Piri, GDK and thousands more delighted customers.